I don’t know how to get those pesky serial numbers to show up while barcoding! I need to track time to serial numbers on my widgets, but how? Where do the serial numbers show up in your time tracking app? Are they projects or tasks? How do I even start?
Start by watching the video! (scroll down)
Then, consider creating projects for serial numbers you’ll be scanning many times over a long period of time. Or, consider creating tasks for serial numbers you’ll only scan for a few days or weeks. It all depends on what the serial numbers and barcode labels represent.
In the end, you’ll get the same employee hours in the timesheet, and time logs in your reports. You’ll see how many hours each employee spends on your projects and tasks. You’ll see how much time was spent on each product. On each kind of work. On each step of the manufacturing process. All that information makes your process more efficient, and cost effective.
Here’s the basic process you will follow:
- Scan an employee name
- Scan a task name (representing a serial number on one of your widgets)
- The timer will start
- Perform the task
- Scan username again
- Scan the word STOP
That basic exchange collects a lot of information:
- How long the employee worked
- How long the project took to manufacture, assemble, box, and ship
- How long each serial number took
- How many times you touched the product
- Who touched the product
- When they touched the product
- How much time you’re spending on each kind of work