Even the simplest manufacturing shops can be automated with a few simple additions. Those additions start with these items:
- Barcode labels on everything
- Barcode scanners
- Tablets on the shop floor
- Standard Time® time tracking software
If you slap barcode labels on everything, then you can scan them everywhere. Scan raw materials to subtract from inventory. Scan bill of materials when kitting parts. Scan products as they begin the build process. Scan them again as they pass each stage of improvement. And finally, scan them as they are boxed and shipped. Now you have just collected a huge amount of information without expending any extra human effort.
Congratulations! You have just automated your manufacturing shop!
Here’s what you can now expect:
- Know when and where your work orders were started
- Know who worked on them last
- Know how much time has been spent so far
- Know how long entire jobs take
- Know where the bottlenecks occur
- Know what waste to cut
Seriously? I get all that from a few barcodes? Yup!