Most bespoke and custom manufacturing shops start with work orders. Every job has one, or it has some unique title that designates and identifies it on the shop floor. This video describes how you can collect data for those work orders or unique identifiers.
scroll down for the video
A simple barcode scanner is all you need to collect interesting data.
But what can you collect? Here are some possibilities, but the list is endless, and depends upon what you want to collect. Just about anything is possible.
- Time stamps for when jobs start and stop
- Employees who work on jobs
- The actual work order number for each time segment
- The client the job is for
- A department where the work was performed
- A percentage of completion
- Inventory and expense usage
- Bill of material usage
Here is an infographic that shows 16 things you can collect with 4 barcodes: